Skip to main content

Cultural Biases

It wasn't until I did a paper for my Masters on The Role of the Female in Traditional Storytelling that I began to evaluate and understand my privileged position in society as a white, middle class male. I have always thought of myself as being caring and understanding to all people, regardless of race, religion, beliefs, or gender. That paper helped me see that it was easy for me to hold to the belief system I had, simply because of the position I held in society, simply because of my gender, race, and financial stability.

When I did that paper, I found it difficult to actually conceptualise what my culture actually was. I am from English, Irish decent with parents born in the British Isles, and yet, I feel neither a connection, nor an affinity to either of those places. With globalisation (brands, sports teams, music) and the Californication of our ideas through the American film and television industry, I felt devoid of a thorough understanding of what my white, middle class culture actually was.

This feminism paper helped me address megaskill 8 & 9 from Bucher (2008) list: Dealing with Bias & Understanding the Dynamics of Power. (Vavrus p52) challenges us: “Unravelling issues of political dominance and oppression is a task that critical pedagogy attempts to undertake.” And Richards et al says that culturally responsive teachers “can confront biases that have influenced their value system.”

With this in mind, it can be difficult for some of us to fully comprehend how or why other minority cultures (many of them indigenous) struggle with getting a good education. The effects of colonisation, and the continued marginalisation and racism that has pervaded our schooling over the last 100 years is not something I can ever fully understand. But the educational results of indigenous and minority students in all corners of the globe are similar highlighting gross disparities: results inferior to the pervading majority culture. So, even if I can’t fully comprehend it and have never personally experienced it, I know that education systems must have a negative, marginalising effect on these students.

Being a culturally responsive teacher is a challenge for most teachers in New Zealand, because like me, most teachers represent the majority (79% Anglo-European ancestry, MOE, 2005). Because of this Anglo-Saxon predominance, school-wide cultural change can also be a challenge.

Goals

My goal is to help all children, regardless of race, gender, beliefs or religion achieve by attaining their full potential and being successful in becoming a purposeful, useful member of society. I see myself trying to be that agentic teacher that Bishop describes in his video. Agentic teacher sees themselves as being able to solve problems, help all students, and believe all students can achieve. He then goes on to describe a culture very much in line with Professor Hattie’s research on visible learning.

This is a culture of Co-construction with your peers, getting feedback and feed forward, and knowing your next steps. This is learning amongst your peers. Students have evidence of their performance, and know the outcomes. As a group, we care for each other’s success and take some responsibility for how others are learning.

High expectations are the norm. Group work is fostered. Students work often on group problem solving activities. We reflect on how different people and cultures view the world, and why. We look for similarities with our own, and differences. I develop high expectations alongside positive relationships.
This is relationship centred education. This is the classroom environment I try and promote and develop. This is the environment where all students can and do succeed. I am not seen as the white, middle class male with all the power and authority. I am seen as a supporter, as a co-learner, as a friend and a helper. Savage et al describe a class similar to mine. “Authentic caring entails getting to know students, attending to student input regarding teaching and learning, respecting students’ intellectual abilities, and valuing identities students bring into school from home.”


Communication Methods

I am an expert at communicating with my students. I am far from expert at communicating with some of the other stake holders. I know I could do much more to communicate with parents and whanau, and community groups in the student’s lives.

I do parent interviews and I write reports. I talk to parents at the gate and at sports events, or when they drop their child off at school. But this is an area I need to work harder on.
Much of my readings point out that teachers that make the commitment to include the whanau in the child’s learning, and who listens to the whanau’s thoughts, ideas, and considerations, are much more likely to get a successful outcome than teachers who don’t. Cowie et al state that “a person who is visible in the community is more likely to be respected as having a commitment to, or investment in, the community (he kanohi kitea).”
This area of communication is going to be my area of focus. Initially, I will enquire with my students about activities, events and places they would like me to share with them: places they identify with, events they are proud of. In doing that, it will be a chance to talk to whanau not about the negatives i.e. school only ever rings me if something is wrong, but about the positives.





Bibliography


Cowie, B., Otrel-Cass, K., Glynn, T., Kara, H., Anderson, M., Doyle, J., ... & Te Kiri, C. (2011). Culturally responsive pedagogy and assessment in primary science classrooms: Whakamana tamariki. Summary report. Wellington: Teaching and Learning Research Initiative.

Hattie, J. (2008). Visible learning: A synthesis of over 800 meta-analyses relating to achievement. Routledge.

Hattie, J. (2012). Visible learning for teachers: Maximizing impact on learning. Routledge.

Howard, J. (2010). The value of ethnic diversity in the teaching profession: A New Zealand case study. International Journal of Education, 2(1), 1.

Hynds, A., Sleeter, C., Hindle, R., Savage, C., Penetito, W., & Meyer, L. H. (2011). Te Kotahitanga: A case study of a repositioning approach to teacher professional development for culturally responsive pedagogies. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 39(4), 339-351.

Ministry of Education. (2005). Report on the findings of the 2004 teacher census. Wellington, New Zealand: Ministry of Education. Retrieved April 12, 2010. [Online] Available: http://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/schooling/teacher_census.

Richards, H. V., Brown, A. F., & Forde, T. B. (2007). Addressing diversity in schools: Culturally responsive pedagogy. Teaching Exceptional Children, 39(3), 64-68.

Savage, C., Hindle, R., Meyer, L. H., Hynds, A., Penetito, W., & Sleeter, C. E. (2011). Culturally responsive pedagogies in the classroom: Indigenous student experiences across the curriculum. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 39(3), 183-198.

Stewart, G. (2014). Te reo Māori in classrooms: Current policy, future practice. Journal issue, (3).

Vavrus, M. (2008). Culturally responsive teaching. 21st century education: A reference handbook, 2, 49-57.



Comments

  1. Hi Philip, I enjoyed reading your blog post, and especially liked when you compared Bishop's research about agentic teaching with Hattie's about visible learning. I had not made that connection, but since seeing your work it seems so obvious.
    I too need to be more visible in the community -as an introvert I find it physically and emotionally draining to put myself 'out there'. I find using an online platform much easier, and parents/whanau appreciate it. Does your school have Seesaw? It's great for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gael, I'm introverted too, outside the classroom. I am a different person inside my four walls.
      No, we don't use Seesaw. How do you use it and what are the benefits?

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your comments about your communication goals. I would say being an extrovert has it's difficulties too- as many parents and whanau members possibly can be put off with an out going person. Sometimes a quieter approach is helpful and being a better listener is also a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Team. I know that often the quieter approach is appreciated and I don't mind taking on that role. Its breaking the ice that I find harder. I know that sometimes extroverts feel too "in your face," even though they don't mean to be, and in many ways, they don't appreciate that that is how some people feel.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your comments about the importance of fostering a relationship with your students which then allows them to feel comfortable to express themselves in a way that reflects their unique culture. I suppose that when we are "visible in the community" we are allowing and condoning various cultural activities and in a way fostering a relationship with the whanau of our students. As, Bronwen Cowie, Kathrin Otrel-Cass, Ted Glynn and Helena Kara, with Marion Anderson, Jude Doyle, Asri Parkinson and Christine Te Kiri stated in their report it is important to build bridges with the classroom curriculum and the students and communities real life experiences beyond school. I guess the difficulty lies in making sure we include all the communities. In an increasing multicultural society it is time consuming to know all of our students backgrounds and cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kerri. I try and include all the cultures in my class by continually opening up discussions back to them and asking "What connections can you make with what we are discussing?" What I mean is, how does what we read about fit in with your cultural view? How does is differ? The kids soon open up and say "Oh, that's just like when we do..."

      Delete
  4. That paper you did sounds rather fascinating! I agree about it being difficult to recognise privilege, and furthermore that even if I recognise the privilege my situation it doesn't mean I find it any easier to respect someone else's situation. I really like your idea of sharing more of the positives with the family, I might try and focus on this more in term 4 as well. Thanks for sharing your rambings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Elizabeth. I guess my privileges blinded me somewhat to other people's barriers and speed bumps. Because I am who I am, for a long time I couldn't understand why other people didn't just have the capacity to sort themselves out and get on with things. From my studies, and readings and self reflections, I can now see that it isn't always that straight forward.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Social Media

I have been using social media in my classroom for a few years now. I have a class Twitter account. I have set up all my students with their own blogs. My class communicate with other students around the world using Edmodo. We have mystery skyped classes in the USA. We have shared our videos on the class YouTube account. My class has engaged in online learning on various interactive, social websites such as Khan Academy and Scratch. But as impressive as this list may appear, I feel as if there are so many aspects of social networking as a tool I have only scratched the surface of. In all of these social engagements, I have remained the one in charge. I have been the instigator of the social engagement; the engineer, the conductor, the driver, the orchestrator. This has made it a very manageable, controllable experience. One that most educators would feel safe in. One where the learning outcomes have been planned and catered for. One where the outcomes are possibly even predet

Communities of Practice

Communities of practice are formed by people who engage in a process of collective learning  in a  shared  domain  of  human  endeavor.  (Wenger 2011, p1)      When I started my teaching career in the 80's, I definitely belonged to comparatively fewer Communities of Practice than I do now. My job was rather insular, in that I belonged to a profession, I worked in a subset of a school called a syndicate, and I worked within the four walls of my classroom. I had very little interaction outside of my immediate collegial community. And even then, my interactions were limited by the social context of the times. Colleagues shared resources, divided up workloads, and very little else. It was rare for anyone within that narrow model of what a Community of Practice is, to ask for help, change the status quo, experiment, or venture on a new path. Change in education was not rewarded, therefore, change could be glacial.  Because education is traditionally a self-preserving, slow-mov

Education Trends: Computational Thinking & Globalisation

In looking at trends affecting societies around the world, the word 'globalisation' crops up time and time again, in many varied contexts. Power (2000), National Intelligence Council (2017) highlight how globalisation can accelerate the growth in disparities between the rich and the poor, the have and the have-nots. In education, Core Education announced their top ten trends in 2016 on their website . Computational Thinking (CT) jumped out at me because I had done my Literature Review on that topic. They pick CT as one of the top ten trends because they see all students needing these skills, even if they are never going to become computer programmers. They say it is a fundamental way of thinking about, and seeing the world. I think that CT being many people's pick as one of the top trends in education is another form of globalisation.   NMC Horizon Report (2016) says that developing CT skills  "has  been  linked  to  economic  growth."  Computer World talks a